On-Site Sewage Disposal
Florida Department of Health in St. Johns County Environmental Public Health Program
Welcome to the Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems (OSTDS) Program
Septic Systems provide a viable wastewater treatment and disposal option for residential and commercial applications when central sewerage service is not available.
Properly operating Septic Systems (Septic tank, pumps and septic drainfield) are vital to the protection of surface water and water wells.
The goal of this Environmental Public Health program is to ensure that all new and/or repaired septic systems will meet the design and construction requirements of Chapter 64E-6 Florida Administrative Code.
With this goal in mind, this Environmental Public Health Service Center provides assistance with regards to system location, placement, sizing, and vertical separation from the water table as well as existing structures.
The following information may be required at a minimum for septic system applications: completed application, soil profile descriptions, two copies of site plans and two copies of floor plans. Please be sure to call for more information specific to your project. Activities conducted by this office include:
- Septic System Construction Permits & Inspections
- Septic System Abandonment Permits & Inspections
- Development Consultation & Plan Reviews
- Pump Truck Licensing & Inspections
- Land Application Site Inspections
- Nuisance Complaint Investigations
- Aerobic Treatment System Permitting
- Tank Manufacturing Permits & Inspections
- Performance Based Treatment System Permitting & Inspections
- Commercial and Industrial Operating Permits and Inspections
- Permit & Service Fee's
- Statutes and Administrative Codes
- Helpful Links
Information on Permit & Service Fee’s is available by calling this Service Center.
Forms are available for pick-up at our Service Center or by visiting the Bureau of Onsite Sewage.
Chapter 64E-6 (PDF, 921k) , Florida Administrative Code & Standards for Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems
Hard copies are also available for review at this Service Center.