Office of Vital Statistics
- (904) 209-3250 x1001
200 San Sebastian View
St. Augustine, FL 32084
To protect the privacy of sensitive information and to prevent identity theft, birth certificates are not public records. Most often, copies of birth certificates are required for identification, to prove citizenship or other purposes such as obtaining a passport or driver’s license, enrolling in school, or applying for federal assistance or other benefits.
- Application for Birth Certificate (PDF, 210 KB)
- Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF, 306 KB)
- Birth Certification Release Affidavit (PDF, 119 KB)
Who can obtain a copy of a birth certificate?
As required by state law, access to birth certificates is restricted to the following:
- Individuals 18 years and older requesting their own birth certificate
- Parents listed on the birth certificate
- Guardians who present court documents showing legal custody
- Attorneys representing children or adolescents under 18. (They must also provide documentation.)
If the registrant is deceased, upon receipt of the death certificate, a birth certificate can be issued to the parent, spouse, child, grandchild, or sibling (if of legal age), or a legal representative of any of these persons
What is the Fee for a Birth Certificate?
$15.00 for each certified copy
Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.